Friday, December 9, 2011

KBP 5k Escapade - Pohnpei

Fun runs/walks seem to be in high supply here in Pohnpei.  It seems I'm able to run a race just about every weekend, which is really fun.  This past weekend I got to run in the KBP 5k.  KBP stands for Katalingbang Bisaya sa Pohnpei.  It is a Filipino organization here on the island that is responsible for doing great things such as medical missions for the municipalities.  They hosted the 5k to promote healthy lifestyles in Pohnpei.  Now you can't quite see on the banner, but it says that it starts at 6am at the cinema.  We had been told that this might be Filipino time, which means it might actually start at 7am.  We didn't want to risk missing the start so we got there before the sun had even made it's appearance.
It made for an even better viewing of the lovely Christmas
lights!
Soon the sky started lighting up and the MC got his sound system set up to announce that the race would be starting promptly at 7am.  Glad we got there at 6! ;)  We were very thankful that we were blessed with a beautiful morning.  The weather has been quite fierce lately and could have made for quite a miserable hour of waiting.  But instead we were able to enjoy a beautiful sky and spend some time taking pictures with the festive lights.

The workers were super friendly and great!
I love all the decorations
My favorite - a palm tree Christmas tree!
 And promptly at 7am were given the countdown and we were off and running!  Pretty much the whole first half of the race was uphill, but it made for a very nice second half going back downhill.  It was a really nice loop through one end of town and back to the movie theater.  I had feared one infamously ferocious dog on the course, but I was pleased to find that he was no where to be seen when I passed his territory.  Yippee!  I was also super impressed by the number of water stops made available by the race sponsors.  There was a water table about every half mile; trust me you might need that much given how much we all sweat in this warm, humid climate.

I felt great and was able to come in 1st place for the females again.  May I reiterate that I love island races that don't require you to actually be fast :)  The prizes for the race were quite interesting and slightly humorous to me:
4th: Box of Ramen Noodles
3rd: Box of Ramen Noodles & Western Union t-shirt
2nd: Box of Ramen, 20 lb. bag of rice & MedPharm Gift Certificate
1st: Double burner gas stove & MedPharm Gift Certificate
I found it so fitting of the islands, yet so ironic that those would be the prizes at an event promoting healthy lifestyles. Ramen?!

Anyway, my closest competitor is a young girl who is very impressive.  She is only about 13 years old and is already able to compete with the top athletes in the Pacific Islands.  She ran in the MicroGames last year and is training to run in the Pacific and FSM games with hopes of maybe one day making the Olympic team. 
Already so impressive!  I'm sure her family
is quite excited about her prizes :)
Her trainer, Rendi, came in 1st place for the males.  He's also an impressive athlete who has competed throughout Oceania.
Rendi is super nice and working hard to try to get the
track team back together, which maybe I can help with too!
And I now have a double burner also and $10 to spend at the pharmacy by the end of the month.  Probably my most random prizes yet, but quite useful.
Sponsored by Scooby's!
Do I see more mango pancakes in the future?!
Our friends were also lucky winners!
Western Union t-shirt - can't be missed in
that yellow!
And a handy Western Union shopping bag!
I was happy to have my lovely roommate join me on the escapade too.
Sadly, Lori was unable to join this 5k fun, but she so thoughtfully provided my mango for the day.  This time it was a new mango candy!
Similar to a Starburst, but slightly different texture.
Yay for new mango things!

Pleasantly surprised by the tastiness of my
little mango Hi-Chew
Overall it was a great race, well sponsored, and supported by cheerful volunteers.  Well done KBP!

I just can't resist sharing with you my post-race meal.  It was so unexpectedly and generously prepared by my wonderful host mother.  Check out this island feast:
Mangrove crab, breadfruit, and local mangoes
A close-up of the crab just to give you a better look
I absolutely devoured that crab!!!  It was arguably the best seafood I have ever placed in my mouth!  I kid you not.  People pay big bucks to get something like this.  It probably doesn't get much fresher than this.  I would guess it was caught right here on the island the night before and was alive right up until the point of boiling it in the always delicious coconut oil by Maryanna.  Pair that with my favorite breadfruit and sweet juicy mangoes; I felt like a queen!

Another great Mango Escapade in Pohnpei!

No comments:

Post a Comment