| Attack of the sharks! |
| We were particularly excited about being marked |
Maria's Experience:
It was one minutes before the gun went off to start the swim. At this time all my brain was thinking was please let me get through the swim as quick as possible. Bang... I was off, running with high knees into the water and then it was time to dive under. As soon as I went under all I felt was many legs kicking me like a whale's tale slamming against the water. The wetsuit began tightening up around my neck and I felt like I was going to suffocate. I almost called the lifeguard over cause I thought I was going to drowned. All I kept thinking was I trained for 3 months and this is how I'm swimming. I swam the doggy paddle the whole time because it was too difficult to swim under the water. I finally made it to the shore and I couldn't have been happier. Land ho!!
I hit the sand running to the transition zone to get on my bike. At this point I was pretty far behind and I knew I had to make up time fast. Once I was dressed and ready to go I jumped on my bike and off I went.
I had a speedometer on my bike so I was tracking my speed. I was averaging between 17-22 miles per hour. It was exhilarating passing people. The bike was by far my best leg of the race. At the end of the ride I got off my bike and started the 5k run.
As soon as I started running my legs felt like lead. It was difficult to run but I made it through. When I reached the finish, I couldn't have been happier. Although I was in a tremendous amount of pain; I retrieved some ice to help my aching muscles. Now it was time to look for Laurie.
Laurie's Experience:
My race was quite different, but I would echo a lot of the things Maria said about the swim. Absolutely terrible! I went into sheer survival mode as I doggy paddled the whole loop too. My goal was to continue breathing, slowly move forward, and not get kicked by too many people although I kicked a considerable number myself. Sand under my feet never felt so good.
I happily made my jog to the bike transition. Little did I know the swim was only the first of my complications. I went to strip my wetsuit off and I thought it was never going to come off. It was stuck on my ankle! Frustration building only made it worse, but I had to laugh.
It finally came off and I jumped on the bike to take off...wrong! The chain immediately fell off. Two very nice men jumped right on the scene to fix it and send me on my way. Great, I'm off right?!
| That's one of the nice men who assisted with bike and saw me off! |
| What can you do? Just run it off! |
It was great to celebrate with Maria at the finish and enjoy the most elaborate post-race meal I've ever had.
| We're triathletes! |
| The race was all about the duck. Instead of a starting gun they used "3, 2, 1, AFLAC!" |
And so fittingly, Maria happened to get a Mango drink at the end. And you thought mango wasn't going to be involved in this escapade! :)
| Aaah, mango, you show up even we don't expect it! |
No comments:
Post a Comment